Western Australian Museum – Perth: physical access information
This page describes the accessible facilities available at the Western Australian Museum – Perth.
- Western Australian Museum — Perth,
Perth Cultural Centre,
Perth, Western Australia, 6000
- ACROD parking
- On street parking location: Francis Street
No of bays: 1
Size of bay: 9m long and 2.3m wide
Ramp access to Perth Cultural Centre from Francis Street and ramp access to Museum from James St Mall, Perth Cultural Centre
Off street parking location: State Library Car Park
Lift access to Perth Cultural Centre and ramp access to Museum from James St Mall, Perth Cultural Centre
Cost of parking: $2.90 per hour
- Drop off area
- Beaufort St
Drop off point at corner of Beaufort Street and James Street Mall where there is pedestrian entry to the Perth Cultural Centre. Approx. 40m to Museum ramp leading to Museum main entrance.
ACROD parking space on Francis Street is nearest to Museum Gate 2
Access to Museum main entrance via Museum Grounds (Gate 2 and 4)
Drop off point at corner of William and James Streets where there is pedestrian entry to the Perth Cultural Centre. Approx. 200m from entry point to Museumramp leading to Museum main entrance.
- Entry to Museum
- Main Museum entrance: located in James St Mall, Perth Cultural Centre with ramp to door (not self-opening) into Museum Foyer.
Museum Gate 4 entrance: located in Perth Cultural Centre opposite State library of WA, access to Museum Foyer through Museum Grounds.
Museum Gate 2 entrance: from Francis Street, access to Museum Foyer through Museum Grounds.
NOTE: The Museum is accessible from parking options/drop off area/public transport through the Perth Cultural Centre
- Located at the Information Desk located in the Museum Foyer facing the James St Mall, Perth Cultural Centre.
- Access within Museum
- Level or ramp access to the Ground Level exhibitions, Shop, Grounds and Café.
Lifts to exhibitions on Level 1 and 2 are suitable for wheelchairs however very large, heavy wheelchairs may have difficulty in the lifts to the Katta Djinoong Gallery or Mammals Gallery.
- Trained Guide or Assistance Dogs
- Visitors accompanied by a Trained Guide or Assistance Dog or a dog undergoing such training are welcome in the Museum.
- Equipment available
- Three (3) wheelchairs are available for use, and one a walker (zimmer frame). Visitors can call 9427 2877 to book in advance or inquire at the front desk at the Perth Museum.
- Unisex accessible toilets are located on the ground floor next to the Museum Foyer, Level 1 and Level 2 of the Hackett Building.
- Hearing loops
- No hearing loops are currently availablee
- Permanent Galleries do not have video material captioned
- Audio guides
- Audio guides are available depending on the exhibition scheduled in the Temporary Exhibitions Gallery. Further inquiries can be directed to the information desk in the main foyer on 9427 2877
- Touch trolleys
- A number of touch specimens are available:
* Mammals Gallery touch table featuring a stuffed wombat, a deer antler, whale baleen, whale vertebrae and a horse’s skull
* An Amazing Archipelago Gallery featuring a giant clam
* Katta Dijnoong Gallery featuring emu feathers, kangaroo hide and goanna skin
* The Discovery Centre features a range of touchable exhibits
- Enquiries can be directed to the Information Desk in the Museum Foyer on 9427 2877.