Camel (1926)
Off Emu Point, Albany in Oyster Harbour

Official Number: 101716
The Camel was built by G. White at Williamstown, Victoria, as a sailing lighter with one mast, a round stern and five bulkheads, and was used at Melbourne. It was so named because of its role as a carrier of fresh water supplies to ships anchored offshore. The Camel had its holds lined with Muntz metal to ensure water-tightness, protect the timber structure and also maintain the purity of the water. It was fitted with four brass or bronze chainplates on each side, about 1.5 m long and 3.8 cm thick. It appears not to have been registered until purchased by McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd in 1897, when it was registered at Melbourne (No. 8/1897). In that year it was towed to Albany by the steamer Tagliaferro to undertake the same role, arriving on 21 June 1897. It was the last water barge brought to the port.
In early 1907 it was stripped of its spars and rigging and converted to a barge to be towed, and as a consequence it underwent a survey and was re-registered, this time at Fremantle (No. 4/1907). A contemporary photograph shows it to have had any existing superstructure removed and a tin shed erected on the stern. The Camel was sold to James Ball of Fremantle in December 1915, and subsequently to Armstrong and Waters of Albany.
THE LOSS
During the very severe south-east gale that struck Albany in 1921 the Camel was driven ashore and seriously damaged. Some twelve months later it again suffered damage in a gale when it broke adrift from its moorings and collided with the Avon Dredge. Both vessels drifted to near the tug landing stage. The barge was not repaired after this incident, but it remained afloat despite having a large hole above the waterline.
The Camel was subsequently purchased by Alf Swarbrick. He was going to dismantle it and use the timber for decking on a slipway he was building at Emu Point. However, he found that the timber had deteriorated so much that it was useless for this purpose. The barge was towed a little way into Oyster Harbour to the east of the entrance and abandoned. Some time later, most probably in 1926, a party was held aboard the Camel. During the night it was accidentally set on fire and burned to the waterline.
INITIAL SALVAGE
It is most likely that the brass or bronze chainplates on the Camel were salvaged, but there was possibly little else of value to save.
SITE LOCATION
The wreck of the Camel lies in a depression on the sea floor 75 m from the shore in water only 1-1½ m deep inside Oyster Harbour, south-south-east of Green Island.
SITE DESCRIPTION
In 1991 Dr Michael McCarthy led a team from the Department of Maritime Archaeology, Western Australian Museum, on a wreck inspection. The remains of the Camel were found to consist of the vessel’s bottom, including keel, keelson, floors and the stem and stern posts. It is lying on an east-west axis, with the remains of the sides showing as charred timber. The wreck is 24.1 m long and about 3m wide. The keel has a width of 37 cm, and the frames average 20 cm in width with a spacing of 7 cm. Some iron knees are visible, with one found on shore probably indicating the position of the salvors’ camp. The Muntz metal lining is evident, as well as a large bollard near the bow. The remains are surrounded by thick ribbon weed which helps protect the wreck from natural forces.
EXCAVATION AND ARTEFACTS
During the wreck inspection some fastenings and sheathing were removed from the wreck for analysis by the Western Australian Museum.
Marshall, G., 2001, Maritime Albany Remembered. Tangee Pty Ltd, Kalamunda.
Ship Built
Owner Armstrong & Waters, Albany or James Ball, lighterman
Builder W. & G. White of Williamstown
Country Built Australia
Port Built Williamstown, Victoria
Port Registered Fremantle
When Built 1861
Ship Lost
Grouped Region South-Coast
Sinking After colliding with an Avon Dredge
When Lost 1926
Where Lost Off Emu Point, Albany in Oyster Harbour
Latitude -34.995068
Longitude 117.95708
Position Information GPS 2005
Ship Details
Engine N
Length 26.27
Beam 6.65
TONA 135.79
TONB 129.90
Draft 3.44
Museum Reference
Official Number 101716
Unique Number 56
Sunk Code Burnt
File Number 2010/0030/SG _MA-195/72
Protected Not protected State
Found Y
Inspected Y
Date Inspected 1991/12/03
Confidential NO