VICE, embossing die


From workshop of Albany saddler, the late Arthur George Morrison b.1928 d.1989. The business was established by his grandfather, George, b.1859 (Scotland) d.1928 (Albany). George moved to Western Australia ca.1889 from South Australia. He was a qualified saddler and leatherworker and came to WA in response to an advertisement for a foreman cutter by Genders of Fremantle. After six months he moved to Southern Cross where he operated a business from a tent. By 1891 he had established a business in Albany as 'George Morrison & Co'. His son Walter Parlane (Parley), b.1895 (Albany) d.1974 (Albany) was trained in saddlery and leatherwork by his father and took over the business when his father died in 1928. He moved his premises more than twice, finally to a workshop adjacent to his home on Albany Highway. His only son Arthur George, b.1928 (Albany) took over the business when his father died in 1974. However, Arthur George was not trained as a saddler. He worked as an ambulance driver in Albany and carried on the business by doing saddlery repairs. Bench top vice operated with two hand wheels. Maker's name cast on one end: "THE BRITISH UNITED SHOE MACHINERY CO LTD, LEICESTER and on opposite end on sticker: "MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN".


History Department


History Collection

Collection Item Data

Accession Number: H1989.589
Accession Date: 12 Jun 1989



cast steel





The WA Museum is in the process of digitising its collections. This record may not have been reviewed by curatorial staff and may be inaccurate or incomplete. Research departments are continually working on these collections by adding new objects and reviewing existing content when new information is made available.

Enquiries can be emailed to



Facebook Twitter

Cite this page
Western Australian Museum Collections
Accessed 31 Aug 2023

We support the open release of data and information about our collections.

Text content on this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Image content on this page is copyright WA Museum.